“We have learned that two of the hostages in Haiti were released. We praise God for this! Only limited information can be provided, but we can report that the two hostages who were released are safe, in good spirits and being cared for.” “the organization said Sunday.
“While we rejoice over this statement, our hearts go out to the fifteen people who are still in detention,” the statement also said.
Authorities in the United States and Haiti have not publicly commented on whether any of the hostages were released. Haitian police, the US Embassy in Haiti, the Minister of Justice, the Minister of Foreign Affairs and the Prime Minister’s Office, and the US Department of State did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
The US and Haitian authorities, as well as the aid organization, have been silent on the negotiations to free the hostages. His captors had demanded $ 1 million per hostage, Haitian Interior and Justice Minister Liszt Quitel previously told CNN.
Ransom kidnappings in Haiti are widespread and often indiscriminate, targeting rich and poor, young and old. Rising crime has accompanied the country’s political instability, with kidnappings skyrocketing in the months after President Jovenel Moise’s assassination in July, according to local human rights organization CARDH. The 400 Mawozo group is particularly known for collective kidnappings.
“Has a month ever been this long? We think back to the early days when our hopes were pinned on a swift response and timely release, and our hearts cry out, ‘Lord, how much longer must this continue?'” He wrote the newspaper. Anonymous mother of one of the hostages in an earlier statement by Christian Aid Ministries, published on November 19.