Unvaccinated players will not be able to compete in the 2022 Australian Open, says tournament director Craig Tiley.
Defending male champion Novak Djokovic has said he does not want to publicly disclose his vaccination status.
“Novak knows he will have to get vaccinated to play,” Tiley said.
“We would love to have him here.”
Tiley also confirmed that the tournament, which will take place January 17-30 in Melbourne, will be played in front of crowds.
The 34-year-old Djokovic could win a record 21 men’s major titles if he plays at Melbourne Park, where he is a nine-time champion.
Last month, the Serb said he wasn’t sure if he would play, adding that he was waiting for confirmation from Tiley before making a decision.
Speaking earlier this week at the ATP Tour Finals in Turin, Djokovic said: “Freedom of choice is essential for everyone, not just whether it’s me or someone else, it doesn’t really matter.
“Whether it is a vaccine or anything else in life, you must have the freedom to choose, to decide what you want to do in this particular case, what you want to put into your body.”
The latest figures show that 80 of the top 100 male players have been vaccinated against Covid-19. The Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) has not yet provided BBC Sport with the percentage of vaccination among its players.
The WTA Players Council sent a letter to the players in October stating that they had been told that all competitors could travel to Melbourne.
The letter also stated that all players, regardless of vaccination status, would have to show proof of a negative test within 72 hours of departure.
However, Victoria’s Prime Minister Daniel Andrews said in October that he did not believe an unvaccinated tennis player would be granted a visa to enter Australia.
Australia has had some of the tightest restrictions on travel and movement during the coronavirus pandemic.
Players, officials and support staff who traveled for the 2021 tournament were required to complete a 14-day quarantine period upon arrival in Australia.
Some were not allowed to leave their hotel rooms after coronavirus cases were detected on their flights, prompting them to set up impromptu practices in their rooms.
England’s men’s cricket team, currently in Australia for the Ashes, spent two weeks in quarantine at a Gold Coast resort before they could fully begin their preparations.