Islamic State claims responsibility for Uganda bombings

Two civilians and a police officer were killed in the blasts, police spokesman Fred Enanga told reporters at a news conference in the city.

The ISIS-affiliated Amaq news agency reported the incident on its Telegram channel on Tuesday, saying that three fighters left with bags loaded with explosives. Two made their way to the Kampala central police station and the third to the parliament building, where they detonated, it reported.

Police said the attacks bore the hallmarks of the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF), an Islamist rebel group. affiliated with ISIS.

In a statement Tuesday, Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni raised the number of wounded from 33 to 36. He said that three attackers were killed while detonating their bombs and seven were killed while resisting arrest. A total of 81 suspects have been arrested, Museveni said.

“In addition to hunting down terrorists, the country’s surveillance (alert) strategy is helping to minimize the damage,” Museveni said.

“Therefore, the public must maintain vigilance to control people at the entry points to bus parks, hotels, churches, mosques, markets,” he added.

The two explosions shook the city center within five minutes of each other. Police said surveillance footage showed an adult man carrying a backpack detonating at 10:03 am local time near the central police station. Enanga said the attacker died instantly.

Two people were confirmed dead at the site of the first blast, while 17 others were critically injured, Enanga said in a statement.

Three minutes after the first blast, two suicide bombers on motorcycles were seen detonated near the Raja Chambers and Jubilee Insurance Building along central Kampala Parliament Avenue, Enanga said. The two attackers were killed and the body of a civilian was also found at the scene, he added.

Enanga said 33 people were injured in the two blasts; five of them are in critical condition. The injured are being treated at the Mulago National Reference Hospital.

Police pursued a fourth attacker, Enanga said, adding that two more bombs were recovered from his home that will be detonated safely.

Following the attacks, police and army personnel cordoned off the streets around the blast sites and restricted traffic in the city.

Last month, a explosion in Kampala killed at least one person and injured several more. Reuters reported that the Islamic State had claimed responsibility for that explosion.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *