Demonstrations against the coup in Sudan demand the return of the civilian government

Sudanese police killed at least six protesters on Saturday during mass demonstrations in the capital Khartoum and in cities across the country. Sudanese security forces used live bullets and tear gas to disperse anti-coup protesters during the crackdown on renewed pro-democracy protests.

Tens of thousands of pro-democracy protesters filled the streets across the country nearly three weeks after Senior General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan overthrew the government, jailed civilian leaders and announced a state of emergency.

The protesters shouted, “Down with all the council,” a day after Burhan was sworn in as head of a new interim government-run body run by the army.

Sudanese security forces arrested the Qatar-based Al Jazeera TV bureau chief, the network said on Sunday, a day after the latest crackdown on anti-coup protesters left at least six dead and dozens injured.

The independent Central Committee of Sudanese Doctors said the slain protesters are from Khartoum and its sister city, Omdurman, east of the capital.

Sudan’s Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok speaks during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas in Khartoum, Sudan, on September 3, 2019 (Credit: REUTERS / MOHAMED NURELDIN ABDALLAH)

The latest deaths bring to 20 the number of people killed in anti-coup protests since the military seizure of power on October 25, according to doctors.

Pascal Cuttat, head of the International Committee of the Red Cross delegation in Sudan, said in a Twitter post that medical assistance should not be obstructed.

“The passage of ambulances must be allowed, the work of medical professionals must be facilitated and the injured must have access to the care they need,” he said. “The medical mission has to be protected.”

Security forces accused the protesters of attacking police stations and denied using “real rounds” of ammunition, saying they only used “minimal force”.

State television reported that 39 police officers were “seriously injured” in clashes with protesters.

General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan was sworn in on Thursday as head of the new Sovereign Council, which replaces the power-sharing body he dissolved last month, overthrowing the civilian government bloc of the coalition that shared power with the army since the two years. the parties signed an agreement in 2019.

Sudanese journalist Mustafa Jameh told The Media Line that the people are determined to continue their protests until the military cedes power.

“The army cannot rule us. We did not get rid of one dictator to ensnare another,” he said.

Pro-democracy groups led by neighborhood resistance committees are organizing a campaign of civil disobedience and protests against the October 25 coup, with another day of demonstrations scheduled for November 17.

“The council must be held accountable for the bloodshed,” Jameh said.

Sudanese protester Mahmoud, who gave only his first name, told The Media Line that “civil disobedience” is the only way to overthrow the military council.

“We demand a civil government regardless of the cost,” Mahmoud said. Unions and other unions in Sudan accuse the government of freezing their bank accounts.

The US embassy in Khartoum said it “deeply regrets the loss of life and the injuries of dozens of Sudanese citizens who are demonstrating today for freedom and democracy.”

The inauguration provoked outrage and great international condemnation.

The United States and other Western powers called on Sudan’s new governing council and police to respect the right to freedom of expression “without fear of violence or arrest.”

The ousted prime minister, Abdallah Hamdok, has been under house arrest since October 25. He has demanded the release of leading civilians and a return to the transition to a civil democracy that began after the ouster of the autocrat Omar al-Bashir in 2019.



Reference-www.jpost.com

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *