Comptroller: Recent Cyber ​​Attacks Show Israel Unprepared

In contradiction to some trade officials and experts who downplayed the blame for the recent cyberattacks, State Comptroller Matanyahu Englman said Tuesday that they serve as proof that the country is still not prepared overall.

Despite years of warnings and an increase in successful mega-hacks of Israeli institutions since December 2020, Englman told an Eilat media conference that Israel is not ready and that “the recent hack of the Atraf website damaged the right fundamental to privacy “.

He added that the combination of the attack on the LGBTQ dating site Atraf in recent days and the hack “against the Hillel Yaffe Medical Center [earlier in October] prove that Israel is not prepared for cyber attacks. “

Furthermore, Englman said that the problem is worse than people think because the vast majority of hacked never complain to the police or the Israel National Cyber ​​Directorate.

The state comptroller said it was not even clear whether police could actually absorb and follow up on cyberattack complaints if more people and businesses filed complaints as they should.

A man holds a laptop while a cyber code is projected onto him in this illustrated image taken on May 13, 2017 (credit: REUTERS / KACPER PEMPEL / ILLUSTRATION / FILE PHOTO)

Rather, it said that a 2019 survey found that there had been 245,000 cybercrimes, including embarrassment, sexual harassment, hacking, and other issues, and 87% of victims did not complain.

In May 2020, the Comptroller’s Office issued a report in which it found that around 4.5 million details of citizens, including facial photographs, are not sufficiently protected against misuse or external piracy.

The problems highlighted by the Comptroller’s Office relate to the Ministry of Transport database for driver’s licenses, as well as the private sector database for bus smart cards.

The report said the databases are “defined as a database with a high risk” of being misused or hacked.

Despite the warning, several major bus companies were hacked last week by the Black Shadow group.

In the May 2020 report, Englman had said that none of the databases it had reviewed had sufficient protections for privacy or from outside hackers and that those responsible did not even have complete information to assess the protections.

Of the 4.5 million smart bus cards, he noted that it was especially problematic that more than 1 million identities and facial images of children were potentially exposed.



Reference-www.jpost.com

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *