“From August 31 to today, we have left – of the Americans who left who said they wanted to leave – about 340,” Blinken told CNN’s Dana Bash on “State of the Union.”
“What has happened since then is this: more people have come forward in two ways. There were a small number of Americans in Afghanistan who did not want to leave and who have now seen that we have managed to get some of the few that are left. Americans than now They’ve come forward and said, ‘Yes we want to go,’ and there are a couple hundred who are ready to go and we’ll work to get them out, “Blinken said, adding that some other Americans the department had not previously identified as potential evacuees who have also come forward asking for help to leave the country.
State Department spokesman Ned Price said earlier this month that the department formed a team to coordinate with government agencies and with outside groups to facilitate the exit of US citizens, US lawful permanent residents and Afghans.
Blinken, who noted Sunday that many of the remaining Americans in Afghanistan are still there because “their entire lives” are in the country, reiterated that the United States’ commitment to evacuate its citizens will continue for as long as necessary.
“There is no deadline for this effort. We will continue to remove them,” the secretary said.